Certificate with 5 ECTS
- Type of study
Module of the Berlin MBA
- Seminar duration
40 contact hours
- Seminar schedule
Friday evening until Sunday
2 - 4 October 2020
13 - 15 November 2020
- Language of instruction
- Tuition fee
Our certificate programmes present you with a subject area that provides a perfect blend of academically-based teaching and practical knowledge from experts. These continuing professional development sessions run over several days, teaching you skills both for further personal development as well as for your next career step.
This seminar aims to introduce to relevant management theories and their combination with applied research methods.
Case studies of Samsung, Delivery Hero and Tesla and the international joint venture of Philips and LG Electronics, exercise in light of business practice what is theoretically taught in class.
The seminar consists of four main components:
1. Linking theory and practice
- Contents, advantages and disadvantages of qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Case study analysis
- Combining theory and practice
2. Management and internationalization theories
- Resource-based versus market-based approach
- Traditional theories of internationalization versus modern network theories against the background of digitalization and internationalization
- Derivation of relevant strategies
3. Elements of network analysis
- Relationships and dependencies of actors (e.g. companies, people) in global networks
- Introduction to network analysis (e.g. positioning of a company in the network, calculation of the Eigenvector etc.) and corresponding development of strategic conclusions for the management (e.g. establishment of an international joint venture)
4. Case studies (in order to exercise what was taught before)
- Samsung (management philosophy, diversification strategy, concentration strategy)
- Philips (analysis of an international joint venture with LG Electronics against the background of resources and market developments)
- Delivery Hero (digitalization and internationalization and the role of entrepreneurial relationships)
- Tesla (technology lifecycle and industrial networks)
The seminar has a scope of 40 attendance hours (plus preparation and follow-up time) and takes place on the following dates:
2 - 4 October 2020 (online)
13 - 15 November 2020 (on Campus)
The seminar times are Fridays 6.00 pm - 9.15 pm and Saturday / Sunday 9 am - 5 pm.
The seminar will be held in English and, due to the corona pandemic, partly with on-campus lectures and partly online.
Small group sizes guarantee an individual learning atmosphere and optimal supervision by the lecturers.
The seminar combines theory and practice in an optimal way. Professors, lecturers and external teaching staff of the Berlin MBA have hands-on management experience in leadership roles or have worked as consultants. The seminar styles of the classes encourage lively discussions and support rapid learning in subjects aligned with professional needs, and build on every students’ work experience.
A Certificate of Advanced Studies with 5 ECTS credit points is awarded to participants successfully completing this seminar.
Should an external seminar participant later register for our Berlin MBA programme, the ECTS points can be accredited and a part of the seminar fee credited towards the costs of the MBA. In such cases, the participant would have to meet the admission requirements applicable to all prospective MBA students, and request the accreditation within five years of completing the seminar.
The tuition fee amounts to 1.500 Euro (incl. materials).
For vocational further trainings, tuition fees are normally tax deductible. Travel and accommodation costs must be paid by the participants.
A recognition of the seminar as educational leave is usually possible.