Master Public Administration
Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Type of Study
part-time distance learning (Blended Learning)
- Standard period of study
- Programme start
Summer semester and Winter semester
- Credit (ECTS)
- Language of instruction
- Number of places
- Admission requirements
completed undergraduate degree, a minimum of one year work experience in public administration
- Application period
1 May till 15 July (Winter semester) and 1 November till 15 January (Summer semester)
- Tution fees
2.100 Euro per semester
- Accredited by
- HWR Campus
Master Public Administration (MPA) – the management programme for public administration
The Master Public Administration is tailored to the real-time challenges of higher-level management tasks and leadership activities in the public administration field. This programme is aimed at those with experience working in the public administration sector and can be undertaken as a distance learning study programme alongside your career.
The MPA programme at BPS offers you:
- In-depth knowledge concerning the concepts and methods of public administration management
- Interdisciplinary action strategies as well as enhanced methodical and personal skills
- Specializations in the areas of changing public administration staff, digital administration and administrative innovation, management in administration, bureaucracy and social innovation
- A dedicated Career Service and a strong network
The Master Public Administration is a distance learning programme and commences twice annually, in April and October. It runs over 2 years and is taught in a blended learning format. With a combination of online and attendance phases, you learn efficiently and flexibly. The Master Public Administration is divided into three sections:
- In the introductory and specialisation phase, you learn the fundamentals and develop and build upon key skills such as decision-making and communication
- During the profile phase, you will specialise via elective modules
- The master phase encompasses the written and final oral exams
In online phases, you spend about 15-20 hours a week studying flexibly using Moodle, the online learning platform.
In addition to e-learning elements, further study materials are also provided, as well as opportunities to communicate and exchange opinions with fellow students and expert lecturers. Expect 10-12 attendance seminars (Friday afternoons and/or Saturdays) over the course of the entire study programme.
The Master Public Adminstration follows an interdisciplinary approach, focussing on the area of administrative sciences.
While studying, you will acquire solid knowledge of public management and influential factors from the worlds of finance, politics and society. You will also enhance and strengthen your communication and leadership skills, becoming qualified and confident in making decisions in complex situations where action is essential.
In the profile phase, depending heavily upon your own career objectives, you will specialise in the areas of changing public administration staff, digital administration and administrative innovation, management in administration, bureaucracy and social innovation.
In addition to the annual MPA expert forum on current public sector issues, the highlight of the Master Public Administration study programme is the study visit. This can be to Bolzano, for example, to visit the Institute for Public Management of the European Academy (EURAC) and the elaborate simulation game. Here, you can put yourself to the test and build upon what you’ve learned thus far.
Im Studium ging es nicht allein um den Erwerb neuen Wissens. Die Arbeit an den eigenen Schlüsselqualifikationen war nicht nur eine leere Vorgabe der Studien- und Prüfungsordnung, sondern tatsächlich ein sehr wesentlicher Studieninh
- Completed university degree
- A minimum of one year work experience in public administration
The Master Public Administration starts annually in the summer and the winter semester.
- For the programme start in in the summer semester (April) the application period is annually from 1 November till 15 Januar
- For the programme start in the winter semester (October) the application period is annually from 1 May till 15 July
32 places are assigned annually for each programme start.
If you meet the entry requirements and are interested in applying for the Master Public Administration, please use our online application tool:
You will be asked to upload the following documents during the application process:
- The completed and signed confirmation letter for the online application
- A suitable proof of identity (e.g. a copy of your passport)
- A current curriculum vitae in tabular format
- Proof of your university entrance qualification (HZB, in Germany)
- Proof of your primary university degree qualifying you for employment (diploma and degree certificate)
- Proof of the number of points scored with the first qualifying university degree if applicable
- Proof of the average marks (differentiated marks) of the first qualifying university degree if applicable
- Evidence of professional experience (blank form on work experience and attachments)
- Details on previous periods of study (blank form on periods of study)
Certificates and other documents which are not in English nor in German must be translated into one of these languages. Translations must be formally certified and attached to the documents.
Tuition Fees – an investment in your future
The tuition fee for the Master Public Administration is 2.100 Euro per semester, 8400 Euro in total (standard period of study).
- All study costs, from matriculation to modules and teaching materials, right through to exam charges
- Career Service and events
Tuition fee can be paid in installments, which you can view in the schedule of fees. We would be happy to advise you personally!
As the programme has been approved as a course of further education in accordance of the Berlin Law of Higher Education, tuition fees are normally tax deductible. The degree programme is also recognised as vocational training which usually allows some entitlement to training leave.
Why study in Berlin?
Berlin is an international capital city of culture, sport and science. Berlin embodies dynamism and diversity. Imagine a city full of beginnings and ends, characterised by residents and visitors, cultural richness, industry and professional associations. Here, start-ups blossom next to large corporations that operate on a global scale.
On graduating from BPS, you’re drawing a new hand of cards for your career. Yet we understand that questions about reorientation, career strategies and development are almost as important as the study programme itself.
The BPS Career Service offers you a CV-Check: Your CV is the core of your application. The Career Service actively supports you through application processes with a complimentary CV check. Together, we will make your strengths and experience truly stand out.
Over 3 500 alumni from more than 30 nations, and another 200 students joining annually. That is the worldwide Berlin Professional School alumni network, consisting of specialists from infinite industries and companies. As part of this international community, you will gain access to BPS alumni groups on XING and LinkedIn.
You will also automatically receive invitations to BPS alumni events including our annual MPA-Fachforum.
You have studied at the Berlin Professional School or at the IMB Institute of Management or the Institute of Distance Learning at HWR Berlin? Then you can register for our Alumni Network here.