HWR Berlin extends Aid for Ukrainian Students and Scientists
HWR Berlin strongly supports consistent actions of the EU and the German Government against Russia's military attack on Ukraine, which is in violation of international law, and is taking aid measures.
Press release 10/2022
Our heartfelt solidarity goes out to all Ukrainians and especially to our partner universities Yaroslav Mudryi National Law University in Kharkiv, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv and Odessa National Polytechnic University.
With immediate effect, the Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin (HWR Berlin) / Berlin School of Economics and Law is implementing concrete aid measures, which might be extended later on, to support Ukrainian students and scientists, and calls on its members to provide personal assistance to the Ukrainian people.
- HWR Berlin offers students of Ukrainian universities affected by the war in Ukraine, to sign up for study programmes as guest students free of charge and with the opportunity for the award of credit points according to the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS).
- HWR Berlin provides individuals meeting Ukrainian university entrance requirements with the opportunity to take part in German language courses to acquire the language level C1.
- HWR Berlin is evaluating how best to support graduates of Ukrainian universities when applying for international Master's programmes at the HWR Berlin.
- HWR Berlin supports students’ initiatives aiming to welcome or provide housing and other forms of assistance to those who have fled the war in Ukraine, with additional resources.
- HWR Berlin continues to support the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation's Philipp Schwartz Initiative to help scholars at risk.
- HWR Berlin calls on all its members to help the people of Ukraine. Therefore, it passes on information about aid initiatives, which collect donations for Ukrainians in need, for example those published by the newspaper Der Tagesspiegel and the public broadcast corporation Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg (rbb).
"The HWR Berlin is a particularly internationally oriented university out of full conviction. We stand firmly by our Ukrainian partners and want to expand our academic cooperation. To this end, we encourage new and long-term European and German funding programmes," says Professor Dr Andreas Zaby, President of HWR Berlin. He continues to state: "We are following the recommendations of Germany’s science associations and will suspend cooperation projects with Russian universities. This is extremely regrettable as we are well aware, that large parts of the Russian scientific community condemn this war of aggression. We will continue to maintain friendly relations with our Russian colleagues."
Approximately 50 students with Ukrainian citizenship are currently enrolled at the HWR Berlin. As part of its university partnerships, the HWR Berlin also regularly welcomes exchange students and professors from Ukraine.